Elder Abuse Prevention Services
The agency provides direct Elder Abuse prevention services and receives referrals for consulting around elder Abuse issues, one-on-one support and counselling, Safe Suite Program referrals, communication support group for older parents / grandparent, assistance with Protection Orders and more.
What is elder abuse?
Elder abuse is any action or inaction by a person in a relationship of trust which jeopardizes the health or well-being of an older person.
Forms of elder abuse:
- Physical Abuse
- Sexual Abuse
- Emotional/Psychological Abuse
- Financial Abuse
Elder abuse in Manitoba
7,500 - 19, 000 Older Manitobans experience one or more forms of abuse or neglect at some point in later years.
I WISH TO THANK YOU FOR THE EXCELLENT TREATMENT AND SUPPORT WHICH HAS HELPED ME WHEN I NEEDED IT THE MOST, AND GAVE ME ALL I NEEDED TO MAKE THE CHANGE IN MY LIFE'S CIRCUMSTANCES I WAS POWERLESS TO DO ON MY OWN. YOU WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND ANYTHING EXPECTED. I NEEDED YOUR HELP AND YOU WERE THERE FOR ME.
- As with other forms of abuse; no one predictor can determine
- Anyone the older adult trusts can act abusively towards them
- Research has shown abuse towards older adults is most often done by family members
I AM SO GLAD YOU WERE ABLE TO HELP ME, WHEN I NEEDED IT MOST IN MY LIFE.
What types of services are available?
- Counselling regarding the abuse and options available
- Referral to appropriate community resources
- Consultation and referral for family members
- Support Groups
- Assistance accessing crisis accommodations and legal services, including protection orders
- Information and Education
Who is eligible for service?
Older Manitobans 55 years and older experiencing physical, sexual, financial, emotional / psychological and neglect by family members, friends or others in a position of trust. Concerned family and friends are also encouraged to call the agency for information and assistance.
THANK YOU FOR BEING SO GOOD TO ME AND KIND AND PATIENT.
Who can I contact?
If you are concerned that an older adult may be experiencing abuse or neglect and have questions, please call:
A & O: Support Services for Older Adults Intake Line
In Winnipeg: 204-956-6440