Elder Abuse Prevention Services
What is elder abuse?
Elder abuse is any action or inaction by a person in a relationship of trust which jeopardizes the health or well-being of an older person.
Forms of elder abuse:
• Physical Abuse
• Sexual Abuse
• Emotional/Psychological Abuse
• Financial Abuse
At A & O: Support Service for Older Adults, Social Workers respond to the needs of individuals 55+ who are experiencing neglect, emotional, financial, sexual or physical abuse. Information and resources are provided to family and friends who may be concerned about an older adult. All calls are strictly confidential.
Elder abuse in Manitoba
7,500 - 19, 000 Older Manitobans experience one or more forms of abuse or neglect at some point in later years.
- As with other forms of abuse; no one predictor can determine
- Anyone the older adult trusts can act abusively towards them
- Research has shown abuse towards older adults is most often done by family members
What types of services are available?
- Counselling regarding the abuse and options available
- Referral to appropriate community resources
- Consultation and referral for family members
- Support Groups
- Assistance accessing crisis accommodations and legal services, including protection orders
- Information and Education
Who is eligible for service?
Older Manitobans 55 years and older experiencing physical, sexual, financial, emotional / psychological and neglect by family members, friends or others in a position of trust. Concerned family and friends are also encouraged to call the agency for information and assistance.
Who can I contact?
If you are concerned that an older adult may be experiencing abuse or neglect and have questions, please call:
A & O: Support Services for Older Adults Intake Line
In Winnipeg: 204-956-6440