Older Victim Services
Older Victim Services is a short-term support service developed in partnership with A & O and the Winnipeg Police Service. Assistance is provided to older adults, age 60 and older, who have been victims of property crime, such as a break-in to their residence, and personal crimes, such as assault or robbery.
How can Older Victim Services help?
Older Victim Services can help you by providing:
- Emotional support - an opportunity to talk about the experience
- Information on the progress of the police investigation
- Assistance navigating the Criminal Justice System
- Information about the recovery and return of stolen property
- Assistance in applying for compensation for injuries
- Practical tips for personal and home safety
- Referrals to other community resources, including A & O’s Programs and Services
What does Older Victim Services offer?
Victims of crime are referred directly to us by the Winnipeg Police Service. Staff and volunteers contact each person individually to provide emotional support and information. In addition, Registered Social Workers are available to provide counselling and assistance.
Crime Prevention Activities
Staff and volunteers are available to provide educational presentations to community groups on crime prevention. Please phone A & O: Support Service for Older Adults' to arrange for a speaker.