This program is an organized companionship and socialization program that seeks to match community volunteers with isolated older adults 55+. Participants of the program will be provided information that may encourage social activity and participation within the community and may be matched with a volunteer visitor. Volunteers and participants engage in a one hour visit, once a week, which occurs on a date and time that is agreeable and convenient to both parties. Visits take place in a participant’s home.
- To provide a comfortable level of companionship between a selected volunteer and client
- To reduce the participant’s perceived sense of isolation
- To reduce the participant’s perceived level of loneliness and related stress
- To provide opportunities for community members to contribute to the well-being of older adults through a social companionship role
- Individuals 55+ living independently within Winnipeg
- Individuals who are expressing feelings of loneliness and/or social isolation
- Individuals who understand and accept the service
- Individuals capable of establishing and maintaining a relationship with another individual
Situations Connect Program does not accommodate
- Situations including alcohol/drug abuse, clinical depression, severe memory impairment, an unsuitable or unsafe environment.
- Referrals are not accepted if the individual’s primary need is not for socialization. The service does not provide transportation for medical appointments, groceries, or other small tasks.
- Referrals are not accepted on behalf of residents of personal care homes.
- Referrals are not accepted where a palliative care volunteer is more appropriate.
How long will it take to be connected with a volunteer?
It may take a few weeks to a few months to be connected with a volunteer, depending on volunteer availability in the participant’s community.
Please Note: Once a referral is completed, a Registered Social Worker will complete a home assessment with a participant to determine program eligibility.
If other services are required, a Connect Program referral will be placed on hold until priority services have been provided (e.g. Counselling, This Full House, external referrals, etc.).
How do I become involved?
Contact A & O Intake to complete an over the phone program referral, or complete the online referral form. Please ensure referral forms are fully completed prior to submission. Incomplete referrals will not be processed until agency staff has spoken with the referral source to gather information missing from submitted referral.
Sometimes I feel down, but then she calls and afterwards I feel like a million bucks! She really brightens my day. Thank you for having such wonderful volunteers.